So, last Friday I decided to take the dive and start a meet up group focused on getting people outside into our parks throughout the Lower Mainland doing something constructive to conserve the environment!
I contacted a whole bunch of non-profits, charities and Metro Vancouver and arranged 10 events (all the way till Sept 25th 2011) to:
Tired of constantly hearing about environmental issues and feeling helpless to do anything about it? Here is a constructive way to direct your energy!
We’re a group of people from all over the Lower Mainland who get together once a month (sometimes more) to help an environmental group, non-profit organization, charity or city tackle an environmental issue that needs co-operation and teamwork to get done. Gloves and tools will be supplied as well as refreshments! If you care about the environment, this is the group for you! All ages welcome!! Some activities will include:
• Pulling invasive plants that are overtaking our native flora
• Planting of native plants/trees
• Restoring areas along a stream, river, marsh or shoreline
• Beach/River/lake clean up
• Harvesting organic fruits/veggies
• Trail building/maintenance
• Restoration of wildlife sites
What will you get out of it? Here are a few things we think you’ll get. You’ll..
• Meet like-minded people
• Feel good getting your hands dirty and being active in something you believe in
• Educate yourself about natural spaces and the environmental problems they face
• Learn first-hand about work being done in the lower mainland by different environmental groups
• Get the experience of a variety of stewardship activities
• Restore a natural space from a damaged state
• Be trained in stewardship practices
• Explore a nature space you may have never been to before
• Realise the benefits of working together with others
• Learn about environmental activities other group members are involved in
• Get physical exercise
• Have fun!
Well... I've started the ball rolling.
I've sent the notice out to my team for the monthly volunteer opportunity to help sort food in their Vancouver Food Bank warehouse.
Our first chance: June 9th, 9am & 1pm...
That was actually about 2 weeks ago (or more).
The response was good... but not overwhelming.
Interested in traveling with a purpose?* *Do the problems of poverty and international cooperation seem overwhelming at times?*Want to make a positive, sustainable impact on our world while challenging yourself? THEN JOIN US
Global Agents for Change is "Riding to Break the Cycle" again, and looking for 25 adventurous youth between the ages of 18 and 30 to join each of our 2010 cycling tours:
Interested in traveling with a purpose? Do the problems of poverty and international cooperation seem overwhelming at times? Want to make a positive, sustainable impact on our world while challenging yourself? THEN JOIN US