The Tyee is fundraising to create four Investigative and Reporting Fellowships, grants we give to journalists to finance in-depth analysis of important issues in BC. Previous Tyee Fellowships have broken major stories, empowered citizens, and won national awards. They've uncovered dangerously inadequate dams on the Fraser River, argued for cheap public transit, explored the possibilities for improving our schools, brilliantly advocated for toxic-free job sites, and have chronicled the local urban farming revolution. Once we've raised the money - we have $3,500 to go and eight days left to find it - journalists can apply by proposing their ideas, which will be reviewed by an independent panel of judges. Anyone who donates to the Fellowship can suggest ideas and be entered to win one of three fantastic prizes. Visit http://thetyee.ca/About/Donate/ to help fund fiesty, fresh, investigative journalism in BC!
I'm really excited about the challenges and rewards of learning to grow food in my small space. Veteran growers might roll their eyes at this neophyte, but in a world where we're increasingly disconnected from our food sources and where full reliance on others to supply our food is becoming more and more of a liability, I will take great pleasure and pride in my apprenticeship.
A 5 year goal:
1. Invite others to grow harvest eat play (you're invited!)
2. Grow harvest eat play (organically) in my small space
3. Inspire others in my community (i.e. strata complex, 140+ units) to grow harvest eat play too
4. Inspire others in local community (many stratas - townhouse jungle) to grow harvest eat play
4. Create community garden
5. Include family, especially 2-year old son, in all of the above